About Us

About Us

A hotel with a rich history

The historic hotel was built in 1779, throughout its life, the Keppel’s Head has been popular with naval men, even to the extent that when there was a fire in 1803, officers and midshipmen paid for its reconstruction. 

It was bought in 1999 by an independent group and since then has recently undergone extensive refurbishment, with the new owners committing a lot of time and money to bring the hotel up to its former glory, though it’s been recently renovated, many of its amazing original features have been kept intact. Its modernisation work emphasised these features whilst keeping within the hotel’s charm. The hotel has been tastefully decorated with historic pictures and Naval artefacts keeping the nautical and historic theme throughout.   

Where Every Stay is a Treasured Memory!

Our Services

We offer free parking, WIFI, coffee & tea making facilities and toiletries. If you book one of our delicious cooked breakfasts you also have the option to choose from the continental selection.

Restaurant | Bar


Keppels Head Hotel

The Keppels Head prides itself on offering friendly and welcoming service with fantastic food offered in a clean and comfortable setting.

about us

The man behind the name

The hotel’s name comes from Admiral Augustus Keppel (25 April 1725 – 2 October 1786), who was a Royal Navy officer and politician who sat in the House of Commons from 1755 to 1782.

Admiral Keppel saw action in command of various ships, including the fourth-rate Maidstone, during the war of the Austrian Succession. He went on to serve as Commodore on the North American Station and then Commander-in-Chief, Jamaica Station during the Seven Years’ War. After that, he served as Senior Naval Lord and then Commander-in-Chief of the Channel Fleet.

The name of the hotel would have therefore been somewhat topical at the time, being built in 1779 after a fire destroyed several properties in the immediate area.

Keppel was a popular man and several inns used his image on their sign. However, few have survived with this name for as long as the hotel.